Dr Somnath Sengupta
Dr Somnath Sengupta is presently a professor in the Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur. He is also serving presently as the Dean, Undergraduate Studies (UG) and Continuing Education (CE). He has authored a number of journal and conference papers of international repute. He has also contributed significantly to distant learning education through a number of video and web courses. He is a member of IEEE.
- Bachelor of Electronics & Telecommunications (B.E.Tel.E.) from Jadavpur University in 1978.
- Master of Technology (M.Tech.) in Electrical Engineering (Electronics) from IIT Madras in 1980.
- Ph.D. In Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay in 1993. Supervisor : Prof.S.C.Sahasrabudhe.
- Worked in the Research and Development laboratories of Tata Electric Companies' Research and Development department, Bombay from August 12, 1980 to July 30, 1991. Field of work : Design and development related to Signal and Image Processing. Responsibilties : Design Engineer, Project Leader and then the Head of Signal and Image Processing group.
- Joined as Lecturer in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering, IIT Kharagpur on August 1, 1991. Appointed as Assistant Professor in January, 1994, Associate Professor in February, 1998 and Professor in August, 2004.
- Research Fellow at University of Edinburgh, UK (2000 -2002). Field of Research : Model-based hybrid video coding for videophone applications.
- Appointed as Chairman, Kalpana Chawla Space Technology Cell, IIT Kharagpur from September, 2006.
- Presently Working as the Dean (Contunuing Education) in IIT Kharagpur.